As women, we’ve all felt the pressure to live up to the many expectations society has set for us. We know that society expects us to look a certain way in order to be seen as “beautiful.” What society ignores is that we already ARE beautiful. There’s no need to change ourselves to be accepted by others; the right people will love and accept you for who you really are.
Social media can also add to the pressure. As you scroll past posts of filtered perfection, don’t forget that almost every picture on social media is edited and presents the highlights of someone’s life, not their every-day. Even the most confident and seemingly “perfect” individual will deal with some insecurity behind the scenes. It happens to all of us and it is fine!
Although we are all going to have bad days sometimes, they never last forever. Here are some things you can do to gain back your power and nurture your own self-love:
- Do a Social Media Cleanse: If you find yourself relying on social media a bit too much, this might be just the thing. Social media can take a negative toll on our souls when all we see is perfection. You can take on a cleanse for 3 days, a week, or until you feel ready to head back. If you don’t want to get off social media entirely, just be aware of who you follow. Follow only people who make you feel good.
- Move Your body: Get your blood pumping with yoga, meditation, dance, exercise, etc. Do something that you enjoy that will allow you to sweat out those feelings. Not only are you helping your overall health but giving yourself a break from thinking!
- Do More of What Makes You Happy: Forget the expectations and do something that brings you joy despite what others have to say. You can do this by cooking, reading, painting, taking a bubble bath, looking at the stars, literally anything!
- Surround Yourself with Positive Energy: Spend time with those who value and enjoy you – family, best friends, and, of course, furry pals! Enjoy this time to relax and absorb loving and positive energy. While you’re at it, share a meal of your favorite food with your favorite people!
- Be Kind To Yourself: Remember to remind yourself that you are doing the best you can, and that is enough. You are fine, just the way you are. Take a look around and appreciate all you have. The feeling of self love will arrive soon!
No one is perfect. Yes, we can all have certain expectations for ourselves but do not be hard on yourself. You are beautiful just the way you are. There is no other person like you in this world so why try to fit into the standards society created?